View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 AM
TrenbeathRanch

Originally Posted by sylviak
So beautiful!! I don't know if my freehand feathers will EVER be that even....I feel like a klutz when I look at those "practice" samples.

Does the Hobbs PolyDown come in different thicknesses? I love the poofyness (word??).
As far as I know, there is only one thickness of the poly-down (rather medium loft). Before I load it, I put it in the dryer for about 10 minutes, to really fluff it. Then, to ensure that I get maximum "poof" with my feathers, I stabilize the sides (very important first step), then apply pretty taught tension all the way around the exposed working portion of the quilt. After quilting is complete, and the project is unpinned from the rails, the "quilting shrink" is what really gives the feathers definition.

Note: The side clamps that came with my Gammill are insufficient to provide the sort of uniform tension that I need to achieve this look. Therefore, I made my own side tension "leaders", which are 21" wide, and attach to the entire exposed section of the quilt, instead of two "pressure points" on each side. TMI?