View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Fixedgearhead

The first 2 pictures are of the style of hope chest that I have made for each of my nieces at about age 16 or so, for Wedding Dowry storage and quilt storage. I previously have given them each a quilt of their own. The Chest is constructed of Pine and is made with dovetailed corners and Solid brass handles, and solid brass keyed lock. The top is of the floating panel style which allows for expansion and contraction due to humidity changes (important). The bottom of the chest is made of fragrant Cedar to inhibit moths. The 3rd and 4th Pictures are of a Standard blanket storage chest with a breadboard top and cedar bottom, that I make for myself. Dovetail construction throughout, and Cast Iron handles and no lock. The brass hinges on the chest allow for the placement of the chest up close against a wall or other obstruction, because they move forward when the chest is opened and do not allow the top to come into contact against the wall. I love making these chests for the nieces as they are a throwback to an earlier time. When dowry chests were the common first piece of furniture that a young woman would acquire, usually from an Uncle or other relative. Even though dowry is not much in common usage in America in the 21st century, The gift, I hope, is still appreciated.
John

Traditional Pine Hope Chest
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253158[/ATTACH]

Hope Chest open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253159[/ATTACH]

Pine Quilt Storage Chest
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253160[/ATTACH]

Quilt storage chest open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253161[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253152.jpe   attachment-253153.jpe   attachment-253154.jpe   attachment-253155.jpe