View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Fixedgearhead

Originally Posted by sewNso
What beautiful chests and workman ship. you are a very talanted person. BUT...
are those your quilts you are storing? if they are, i heard it mentioned at a quilt quild i belonged to at one time, that... quilts just being stored on a wooden shelf would discolor from having touched the wood at some point. this was said, as some antique quilts were being displayed. and they were saying why they were discolored. maybe you should line those chests, if they are your storage.
I think that is somewhat of an "old wives tale". It applies to storage of quilts on unfinished wood. Or wood that is oil finished. These are finished pieces of wood, with a modern finish that will not transfer the oils that are in wood, to anything they come into contact with. If you use an oil finish, then they will transfer the oils to the fabric they come into contact with over time. It is like the difference between Archival Matting and standard poster board matting that is used in picture framing. The best museums use the kind of finishes I use for the display of their items, So I feel that they are probably the final arbitrator of this sometimes heard story.
John