Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
cwessel47

When you have a husband who does not eat tomato sauce - as I did - you need to get creative. My youngest daughter just requested this (again, I think). Since I've already typed it out, I thought I should share it here too. It's a marvelous meal and leftovers are to die for. I wrote it for her however - so you can overlook the personal comments. If you don't know how to make white sauce - just google it!

Chicken Lasagne - makes a 13x9" pan

As you know... I begin with a 4 lb chicken and make stock. In pot with chicken add: 1 onion, sliced in eighths, a couple of carrots and ribs of celery cut up in sticks (not small, just adding some surface to them), a few peppercorns, 1/2 tsp of salt for every pound of chicken, some thyme and parsley. Cover with water, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for an hour. Remove chicken to platter, let cool, strain broth and cut up chicken.

For sauce:

1/2 c butter or margarine
1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp basil
3 c chicken broth

For Cheese Mixture:

1 egg, slightly beaten
1 lb part-skim ricotta
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley

To assemble:
2 1/2 c cut-up chicken
1 lb -or less- sliced or shredded mozzarella
1/2 lb lasagne noodles
1 pkg frozen spinach - thawed and squeezed dry, if you are into it

Make white sauce - and I know you know how. You can add thyme and sage if you like. Stir in chicken.

Beat egg in a bowl and add the ricotta (or cottage cheese) Parmesan and parsley.

Cook the noodles.

Layer : 1/3 sauce, 1/2 noodles. 1/2 cheese mix, 1/2 spinach (if using), 1/2 mozzarella. Repeat layers and end with last third of sauce. Top with more Parmesan.

Bake at 375 for 45 min. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting unless you are starved!