View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
GayleM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Originally Posted by GayleM
I am a handquilter also. Question: Do you always stencil once the quilt is on the frame, or while the top is on a table? I am currently working on a queen size and marked it while it was on a table top. Used a pouncer with iron-off chalk but the marks seem rather faint after mounting on the frame.
Over the years, i guess i have tried just about every type of marking tool there is. and, like u, i have tried marking the whole quilt before starting to quilt it. and half would be worn off before i got to it, and would have to remark. so, now i mark as i go. most quilts will have centering points in each block, that will tell u stencil is in right place. and most of the time we r just straight line quilting, so u can tape as u go.
After trying all types of markers, i have settled on the Fons@Porter. I ordered mine from Keepsake quilting It came in a medal box. And the refils r not expensive and last a long time.
Also, there is no waste, you can put more than one piece of lead in, and the second one will push the first one all the way through so that u can use all of it. Also, i have never had a mark not come out in the washing. It has always been easy to find a marker easy to see on light material, but harder to see on dark, and the white lead for this pencil works great.
Thanks for sharing the info. I believe I will have to remark as I go since my eyes aren't as young as they used to be! My husband is from the Ashville area in NC. I'm trying to get him interested in quiting but so far he's only assisted getting quilts on the frame. Oh well - gotta start somewhere! Thanks again Ninnie.