View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Helovesme

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Oh Gilbert is SEW cute! Just so you know, boy birds can only make a one-syllable sound, whereas girls do two syllable ("buck-wheat").

I only have these 3 (so far!) and will be getting chickens in the spring (which won't be 'free roaming') so they won't be quite as loud as a big herd of them. ha ha One of the perks is the noise they make although I've heard they do get annoying, especially when you have a lot of them. I'll tell ya, these three did NOT like my in-laws. I was cleaning their coop 2 weeks ago when they showed up & these guys carried on like mad. Never heard a peep out of them before that! I bugged hubby get our our security system hooked up, and he never did (we live in a remote area). Now I don't think I'll need one if these guys stick around. I just think they are the quirkiest birds. I hear they love looking at themselves in the mirror. Gotta find an old mirror somewhere! :)

Wanted to show you all a pic of them a bit farther away. They're pretty big now. I'm afraid to name them for fear they go away, although I am already attached.

Oh, yours are so cute, too! And yes! Gilbert stands next to my daughter's black car parked in the driveway (hers is ALWAYS clean) and just admires himself! And I heard they make that noise when they are trying to alert you of danger...like other people. I don't know if I could handle several of these guys making that sound all at the same time, but Gilbert is a hoot. We left the garage door open one afternoon (and our garage is pretty empty; my car is usually parked in there) and the door to the house was open for whatever reason, Gilbert is in the middle of the garage cackling and my dog and cat were both sitting at the door like they were watching a circus. Couldn't figure out for the life of them what the heck that bird was doing.