View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Noiseynana

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
Originally Posted by Noiseynana
Here are 3 pictures of my quilt trunk. My hubby made this about 5 years ago. The quilt on top is hand quilted by a friend . The top was found in a pile with 3 others at a yard sale for $3.00 each. How lucky was that. hehehe
That is called a camel back chest. Or at least I think it is.The reason was that you could overfill it and it still would close. Kind of like a camel fills it's hump with water. It looks very well done. I am sure your husband is proud of it. My chests are Southern White pine. One of the plantation grown sustainable woods that make for a renewable resource. I try to buy only renewable resource woods. I no longer make anything that comes from rain forrest cuts, as that is clear cutting and doing great damage to the planet. There are plenty of woods that grow right here in the U.S. that work for furniture and are from sustainable sources. Just my way of saving the planet.
John
Thats a wonderful idea. This oak was reclaimed from a church. So it was a good thing too. I love your chests. Your family must love to have all you can make. hehe Thats the way our family is too. Any time a "need" comes , then the family gets so much closer. hehehe We love 'em anyway.