View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Debbie B

Originally Posted by Rose L
The best advice I can give you is to watch lots of LA quilting videos on Youtube. Then...practice practice practice. The more you play with it the more confidant and precise you will get with it. In the beginning you'll have machine problems that you'll have to work through (learning curve) and your stitching at first will nearly make you believe that you're never going to catch on but then all of the sudden you just get it and it gets better and better from then on.

Also, try sitting on a bar stool or tall chair while doing the tedious work, like stippling in tiny areas. It saves on the back and feet tremendously. I got a cheap backless bar stool and then cut the legs down so it's the perfect height for me. I quilt a section then move the stool over and do the next section. I can do this for hours this way without putting myself in pain. It also allows you to rest your arms on the belly bar so your movements are more steady. That may be considered poor practice for some but for me it really improves my stitching and my pain level (I'm disabled).
Rose, Thanks so much for all the advice. I will look into a stool. Do you have this type of set up? I'm going to look up things on you tube right now. Debbie