View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Fixedgearhead

Originally Posted by gspsplease
They are certainly beautiful quilts and wonderful display racks.
I have been lucky purchasing similar racks from ebay in Australia, not listed as quilt racks but as towel racks-- people who have reproduction old style bathrooms often purchase wooden towel racks to match. And when they change their style, they sell them on ebay! I'm sure if they were listed as quilt racks I would never be able to afford them, but no one else seems to notice these items -- so far I have purchased 3, paying no more than $30 for each. A friend of mine uses old towel racks in her bedroom, to store "wear around the house" clothes for a day or so rather than draping them on a chair (or on the ground).
I have seen large clothes drying racks used in stores to display quilts. They will hold about 8 of them folded. That would be a good option if you had the need or space for such a piece. You could even make it out of nicer wood than the regular racks come in. Pine I think it is, but it may be something else. Whatever you use, I suggest you coat it with polyurethane finish before you lay those keepsakes on it so as to prevent the leaching of oils from the wood, onto the fabric.
John