Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Baloonatic

My DH has been Type 2 for the last 5 years. We ran out and bought a bunch of expensive books that we don't use. The Atkins Diet is a good guide for diabetics. Many if not most recipes can be easily adapted to a diabetic diet. There IS life after diabetes!

You can have some sugar, you just need to keep track of how much and in what ratio the sugar is to the total carb count. Keep the ratio low. Have a bite or two, get the taste. Just refrain from eating a whole slice of that chocolate cake! Don't overdo it. Check your blood sugar levels often, and you will learn what you need to avoid. Your doctor should refer you to a dietician who can help you. Eating healthy is imperative to a long life.

If you are carrying a few extra pounds, managing your diabetes will be a lot easier if you can lose them.
Watching your sodium, fat and cholesterol intake is also wise, as diabetes can bring a host of health problems that involve every system in your body. I read the labels on everything. We're eating healthier than ever and it still tastes good!

I use more herbs instead of sodium. I also use a lot of lemon juice in dishes. I also use a quality flake salt that can be lightly sprinkled on top of a serving so that the tongue tastes it first, rather than mixing a lot of salt into the whole dish. Over time (just 2-3 weeks) you will find you don't crave salt like you used to. Just give it a chance.
The same effect will happen with sugar cravings... but my DH refuses to give up his candy and sweets, mostly sugar-free of course. Someday he might grow up... (but I'm not holding my breath any time soon!)

I discovered Dreamfields pasta, it tastes wonderful and has only 5 grams of digestible carbs instead of regular pasta's 42 grams or so. (I'm not affiliated in any way)
http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com
Just do not mix with a tomato-based sauce and then put leftovers in the refrig. Somehow the acidic sauce causes the carb protection to disappear overnight. So when serving the meal, add the sauce to the pasta on the plates rather than mixing it all together in the pot. Store any leftovers separately in the refrig.

Just because a recipe says, "makes 4 servings" doesn't mean you have to eat the full portion. I bought a digital scale which is very handy. A pasta serving is usually 2 oz (dry), but we now eat only 1.5 oz and we're full!

V-8 Splash has a Tropical Blend that is sugar-free and only 10 calories a glass. My DH enjoys it and I am totally addicted!

It seems that even though there is more sugar content in red potatoes, they apparently are diabetic-friendly. I never buy russets any more. I use mostly healthy olive oil, and avoid saturated fats as much as possible. There are a lot of tasty sugar-free and low-fat foods today, and more are being introduced all the time.

And as they say, "All things in moderation." So go forth, live long and prosper.