View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 PM
JanTx

Hopped on today - got 5 Houston area (region 8) shops in. Still didn't find refreshments in the shops - except our home shop in El Campo had bottled water and some candy. Couldn't leave until after the Farmer's Wife Sampler Club meeting at 10;30 so at 11:00 we headed out.

Richmond, TX (just sw of Houston) was the cutest - Quilter's Cottage. This is a row of old houses and the quilt shop takes up 3 houses - 2 for wares and one for a classroom. Loved their "color room" where the bolts are sorted by colors and the fqs are shelved right above each bolt. I'd love to have more time to explore here - I'll be back. I picked up a few fat quarters for my Farmer's Wife Sampler and some varigated thread. (Favor was 2 fqs and the block pattern)

The Heights region of Houston was next. This is the only shop that has a Houston address - I wonder why that is? Tea Time Quilting is another little house - attached to a plant nursery. The front porch had bargain baskets that were fun to play in. I got a Moda panel of children playing - "Recess" - for $4. Inside is quite small, but lots of fqs - picked up a couple more there. (They also have yardage and a great display of the Texas fabrics.) (Favor: choice of 2 goodie bags - one with a quilt pattern and one with 2 fqs. Also had a pen, lotion sample, and teeny tiny scissors. and block pattern)

On to Spring, TX for the Hen House. Large shop - lots of kits, lots of fabric, also a yarn shop. My husband had a great time talking to the owner's husband who was helping out at the cash register. Got some fq's for a little boy quilt there. (Favor: choice of scissor fob or card of needles plus block pattern.)

Tomball, TX next to Quilter's Crossing. Another small shop in an old house. Had quite a few bolts of backing fabric. I got some of that for a current project. (Favor: grab bag - I picked out some fray stopper stuff. and block pattern)

Quiltworks in Cypress, TX was our last stop. It's a new shop - lots of windows - very different from our other hops today. They had a nice 30% off table and I picked up 2 sets of three one-yard cuts for children's quilts - one boy and one girl. (Favor: copy of block pattern only.)

Had a great day. Fun to just get out. My husband just retired and he had planned our day. We needed the time together! In the evenings too often I sew and he watches TV.