Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 AM
Carol's Quilts

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by LouBert
I'm not advocating it for everyone, but it has worked for me. I'm 65 and am either sitting at my sewing machine or computer, so not much activity in my life. My husband found a 'study' online that I've adhered to for 12 weeks and lost 24 pounds. Stopped my Metformin (for Type 2) 12 weeks ago and eat 650 calories a day, my blood sugar was 187 and today it was 98. After a gastric bypass you only get 300 liquid calories a day. I eat very healthy, veges and fish/chicken, no sugar, no junk. Hope this helps someone else.
Could you share where to find the plan?
Be careful with this kind of diet and be sure to check with your dr. to get approval as it should be done only under doctor's supervision. For most people, diabetic or not, eating only 650 calories a day on a regular basis is a very dangerous thing to do. You must be concerned about getting enough nutrition every day and if you don't get that nutrition, it can lead to other serious medical problems. You may not even realize how too little nutrition can be affecting your blood, muscles, brain cells, internal organs, skin, eyesight - your whole body. That's why medical supervision is so necessary.

The most important thing a diabetic should be concerned with is limiting carbohydrate consumption to get blood glucose levels under control.

Your dr. will advise you if you need to lose weight and will direct the best way to do that. Not all diabetics are overweight, and losing weight may not be necessary or even advisable. Just by greatly reducing the carbs in your diet will necessarily reduce your calorie consumption . So allow your doctor and/or nutritionist to be your best guide for controlling diabetes with diet, exercise, medication, etc. It can be difficult to manage it alone and there is no one "magic" answer. What works for one may not work for another.