View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM
quiltlady

Originally Posted by JanTx
I must have a "Girly Fishy" baby quilt for the son of a dear friend. (Long story, but .. must have this!) I've been collecting fish fabric since I first heard of the upcoming bundle of joy, but just KNEW the bundle would be male. Well, she's not. So Girly Fishy quilt.

I took in the fish fabric thinking polka dots, purples, etc. What you see is what the LQS worker put together. She's been a tremendous help so many times that I just trust her choices, even this time, even though I REALLY wasn't sure about this. I'm putting it together and I'm still not sure! It's not too late to cut bait - so to speak - so ... should I go back to purple polkas ... or ... what?
I love all the fabrics and don't think the flowers are out of place -they are very wimsical and girly - and flowers are around ponds. What I do think is that the blue fish fabric is overwelhming for a girl quilt- maybe cause of the size of the block. Since you want to have it be fishy - If you have another contrast fabric - polka dots , swirals etc, maybe you could do a 9 square with the fish in smaller squares for the altenate block and make the fish boarder more narrow. Making the fish squares smaller would make the flower squares and orange pop out more for a more girly look. I would also include the flowers in the border somehow maybe as just corner blocks.