Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 PM
kiffie2413

Hi all,
I have been trying to get better at my fmq...I learned to fmq on my Brother PC-420. It works for smaller pieces, but I wanted to do larger projects, so I recently decided to get a more industrial machine, bought Brother PQ-1500...DH is going to build me a frame for it, but it will be a while..So, I am using it on my sewing table, it is sunk down in and table is even with the bed of machine. Well, I just cannot get the machine to do fmq...or, can't get it do it with me at the helm...I tried adjusting both top and bobbin tensions, not at the same time, of course...I even ordered in another bobbin casing, as I thought maybe I had messed up the 1st one, and couldn't get it back...I have also tried the bobbin genies, quilting gloves, and supreme slider, too...My fmq still looks like a rats nest underneath, its awful!!! I am really getting frustrated as to what to try next...
How do ya'll know what the right tension is on your machines? Do you just make small adjustments to either the top or bobbin tension at a time, and try a sample sew, if its still bad, do another adjustment, and keep going till it works? I am thinking it is in the bobbin tension...and, I know I should be able to get this figured out...I am not afraid to try adjusting things, I can't use it like it is...so, nothing ventured, nothing gained...I bought the 1500 strictly for piecing and fmq...so I really want to get this down...
Thanks to you all for any help you can give...
Kif