Old 09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
kiffie2413

Originally Posted by ckcowl
start with a small practice sandwich- like a 12" square---and work on it until you have it figured out-
sometimes trying too many different things only makes matters worse.
you need to get used to the machine- before trying to quilt a quilt with it.
are you using a free motion foot? or a walking foot?
try to do some basic sewing---piece a 4 patch-
if the stitches are good top and bottom- great- make a practice sandwich and start practice quilting- if the stitches are not ok- start trouble shooting that- first.
if you have been turning dials- & screws all over the place it may take you a while to get it back to where it belongs- but start at the beginning---a 4 patch would be a good place to start
I have done several piecing projects with it...works great...it works great with the walking foot for straight line quilting, though with the auto pin feed, I really don't need the walking foot...it is when I put on the free motion foot and try to fm quilt that the trouble starts...I haven't been turning all of the dials and such all at once, sorry if I made it sound that way...I have tried one thing at a time...using my book that came with it, my fmq books, on-line info, and of course info I find here...when it still is not right, I try and put 1st setting back, and try something else...I think I have it narrowed down to the top tension...there are 2 ways to thread the top tension...I have only used the 1st way. I just re-threaded and went with the 2nd way, tried another small practice sandwich, and it actually looks ok...I know it is because I asked for help on here...and the machine knew it and has decided to cooperate!! I haven't lost my mind....really... :shock: So, thanks for the suggestions, and especially that I really needed to check the top tension not the bobbin...if it does more "rattiness" I will take a pic of it...
Curious, what thread do you all think is the best? I know it varies from machine to machine...but how do you know you have the best one? Does your machine consistently quilt great with the right thread? So you stick with that brand/weight? Or does it vary, and you just have to figure it out? Thanks loads again for all the help!