Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 4js
I have 3 featherweights - which I love but lately it seems that I have 1 or 2 in for repair all the time!! I use them to sew on ALWAYS!! My question is if you were investing in a "modern work horse" what would it be. I would like to have the thread cutter and needle up and down as part of the features. Is there such an animal??? 4js
While you have only mentioned two features, there are so many more that may affect your choice. I don't like to overbuy, though I am cautious to not buy "just" what I need, and then a year later discover I have outgrown what I have or say, oh, I didn't know that feature existed.

Thus why I bought the MC6600 instead of the MC6500 which I was first considering. A professional seamstress I met after I purchased mine, told me it's her favourite machine ... except when she wanted a workhorse (goes through thicknesses when sewing wedding dresses) her favourite is the Janome 1600. Great machine .... but nothing more than a straight stitch, forward and back! Most of us want a little more!

Go to your local dealer(s) and try some out and start your wish list!