View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Jim's Gem

It depends on where you buy your machine. If you get it from Walmart or on E-Bay or Joanns or something, no, they won't offer classes. My suggestion would be to go to a local quilt or sewing store that sells machines and try out several in your price range. Many shops will only sell one or 2 brands of machines. I have a Bernina and an older Pfaff. I never got lessons on my Pfaff cause I bought it in the town where my parents lived and I lived 300 miles away. I wish I could have had lessons. It was a fantastic machine, a real workhorse and I would have purchased another except I would have to travel 45 miles or so for classes and repairs on it. There is a Bernina dealer within 1.5 mile of my house. I bought my machine on e-bay, but then was able to take classes on it at my local store. Originally they were going to charge me for the classes but then didn't. I guess that's because I have bought furniture and sewing chairs and thousands of dollars in fabrics there. It is really nice to have someone close by to go to for questions or problems or extra sewing feet. They are really helpful with that. You will want to be able to take the classes, the minimum would be on how to fully use your machine and also extra classes on other features. Many of our quilters here love their Janome's as well. I looked at them and I have a Janome dealer within 12 miles but I liked the Bernina better.
Many times they will have gently used machines that you can get a good price on. Try several different types, find what works well for you. Make sure you get a 1/4" foot and also a walking foot would be a must. I love the Needle up/down feature on mine.
Hope you have fun finding the right sewing machine for you!!!