Old 09-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Furza Flyin

1. Check the local newpaper, I have always seen packing boxes for free here in the States.
2. Get a bright colored bucket with handle. In the bucket put a couple of rolls of tape(slide one roll on the handle, makes it easier to use and stick the end of the tape to the side of the bucket, markers(see below item 3, scissors for the tape(tie them to the bucket handle). A steno pad and pen, for notes while you are packing. Your portable house or cell phone(so you dont pack it and you dont kill yourself trying to jump boxes to find the phone) This has saved me so many times during moves. The bucket can easily go from room to room and you dont have to look for supplies
3. Go to the dollar(cheap) store and buy the MEGA(really really big) permanent markers in Red and Black. Mark all your sewing/quilting boxes with big Q or S on ALL the sides. You can choose different letters for each room too, K for kitchen, P for potty, BR for bedroom. That way no matter what side is showing in the box stacks you can find it. Anything that is breakable gets a big red X from corner to corner on each side and the letter.
4. If you are having people help you move, take a whole sheet of copy paper and beside each doorway in the new house tack the letter of boxes that match that room on the paper. It really helps. Dont tack to door incase it gets closed.
5. Get a moving box small enough to put in your car. In the box put the following:
a. toilet paper a roll for each bathroom
b. paper towels
c. flash light, night light, and small plug in lamp
d. bar of soap, wash cloths and towels(just one for each person the first night)
e. sheets and blanket/quilt and pillows for your bed(you are going to be tired and not want to look for this at midnight)
f. fork, spoon and knife (one set for each of you)
g. cleaning supplies
h. a box of pasta, jar(screw top) of sauce, and a pot to cook it in for your first meal.
i. hammer, + and - screwdrivers
and any thing else you think you will need the first 24 hours. AND put it in the shower or bathtub so you know where it is and it dosent get stacked under other boxes in the new house.
Congrats on the new home!