View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by Joselake
I do have 5 bobbins that it came with and a pack of needles. At least I have those.
If you have five of the right bobbins, you have one pain in the neck eliminated. :)

I would keep the old needles as a keepsake if they're in old packaging, but use new needles for sewing. You can buy regular 15x1 sharps in many sizes for $12-15 per hundred on eBay and they'll fit almost any domestic sewing machine and quilting situation.

I just can't get myself to say no...I always think of what a life she has had and who has touched her throughout the years.
That's one of the charms of these old gals for me, too. :)

I don't want someone tossing me away just beacuse I'm old and a little worn looking...lol
:mrgreen: Me, either! And the older and more worn-looking I get...... ;)

I don't think you'll be sorry - these things are so fun to tinker around with. Cleaning the mechanical parts is easy as pie. Cleaning the exterior without damaging the decals is tricky, but if you can get it clean enough to sew with, that's good enough.

This kind of machine is a good one to practice on because you're really not going to damage it's value. If the appearance ever really bothers you, you could even strip it and paint it a jazzy candy-apple red or deep purple or something else crazy and it wouldn't "ruin" anything. But, really once you get it clean and get to sewing with it, I'm betting its appearance will become attractive to you.

Have fun with it! :)