View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM
boohoofish

For all who are asking about quilt # 3 - now my favorite pattern - its a modification of a McCall's online pattern based on their China trip. It is called "Doorway to China Quilt Block" It was for a wall-hanging and I just enlarged the sashing and added more rows.
Every so often I mess up and forget to put the sashing on before I do the large piece but it still turns out okay.
I have made my pattern fabric 3 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches for the center pieces, I made the sashing 2 inches by 8 1/2inches. That makes the center. Next is a top and bottom sashing 2 inches by whatever your width turns out to be - actually I just cut strips the widths I need and start sewing, ironing and trimming.
When I add the last row, I measure, take away sashing measurement and divide into 3.
This makes about a 38 x 45 inch quilt top (adding that extra row)
Sometimes I vary the width of the sashing and will even make it 3 inches if I want a wider and longer quilt.
I hope this all makes sense. I found that if I numbered my pieces on the pattern it helps keep everything correct. Carol