Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM
melinda1962

Originally Posted by irishrose
Little Orphan Annie's patent date was Dec 17, 1895. If that's a serial number on the slide plate, she was made in 1904. I think it must a serial number because it fits New Home's numbering pattern. I think I'm going to go ahead and clean her up because the treadle is so free and smooth, unlike the Leader. I will probably lose the decals she has left by the time she's clean. Does anyone admit to having painted decorations on an antique machine? Is it any worse that painting a FW?

The Ruby is in a wooden cradle that then fits into the cabinet, then there is a metal cover on the bottom of the machine so that has to come off to clean the bottom gears. I also need to take the irons off and take them outside to clean and probably paint. The drawer cases are funny. They aren't attached on the sides, just suspended from the top of the cabinet. The wood is very dry and what finish is left is very rough, but there is only one ruffled spot of veneer. There is a missing panel across the front. I will call the young lady to see if it broke off in her car, otherwise, I'll have to make one. Is it possible the machine had a canvas sling under the machine? I vacuumed off pieces of rotted canvas last night and there are slim wooden pieces that would have held it in place. No, I won't paint the cabinet. Wish me luck.

I talked to my son last night. I do not have a Redeye, but he saw one in a barbeque shop. He said now he knows why I want one. He also said the one on display was very dusty and he really wanted to dust it for them while he waited for his order.
Don't know what all is with it, but there is a Ruby at San Diego, CA goodwill that is not being bid on, if anybody there is looking for a parts machine. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8544529