View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
quiltingdoe

Aloha, Ladies:
I was checking out this youtube video about making a quilt top out of one jelly roll by attaching all the strips end to end into one long piece (1,600inches).

I am part of a group of volunteers who teach sewing to anyone 9 years old to adult; and thought this would be a great quilt for our participants to make. This is a free class and the participants (girls, boys, men & women) would make there own strips from the fabric donated to this program. Since the seams are mitered as for making bias binding, I would think you would have to add some length for the two seams. Would that be 2" (1" for each seam)?

/////////////////
posted as Main/Cristmas Projects? on second page by lynngreen
First, here is a you tube link to see them being made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomX7t7to_o

Using one jelly roll you randomly sew all the strips together. They are attached end to end with a diagonal seam. This results in a strip about 1600 inches (!) long. You cut off 18 inches from one end. Take the two ends, rights sides together, and make one seam down one side of what now is 800 inches, cutting the bottom. Then you brings ends together again, right sides together and sew one side, cutting the bottom. You do this until you go from a 1600 inch strip to a 48X64 top. The pattern is really neat, and the you tube link shows several completed tops. It is taking me about an hour to sew the initial strips end to end then about another hour to sew all the seams.
///////////

Your help is greatly appreciated.