Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 AM
kellen46

Originally Posted by 4js
I have 3 featherweights - which I love but lately it seems that I have 1 or 2 in for repair all the time!! I use them to sew on ALWAYS!! My question is if you were investing in a "modern work horse" what would it be. I would like to have the thread cutter and needle up and down as part of the features. Is there such an animal??? 4js
My main sewing machine is a Bernina 440qee, however I wanted a long bed for machine quilting. I found a Brother 1500s for about $600 at all stitch.com. It has a big bed, thread cutter and needle up/down. It is only a straight stitch, or free motion but I don't need decorative stitches or fancy stitches as I have my bernina for that. The stitch quality is good and it is easy to use. The only thing I would change is I would have bought the next model up for a speed control. It has a heavy motor so it can sew easily through heavy layers. I have quilted about ten full size quilts on it and the extra room inside the harp is very nice and makes a big difference. It is a good companion to my Bernina.