Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Joan

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to attend the book signing of Anelie's Belden's new book, Thoroughly Modern Dresden. Anelie is the president of our quilt guild and quite an accomplished quilter having started at age 13!

Anelie's first attempts at a Dresden plate resulted in a block that would not lie flat and the conclusion that each seam had to be sewn particularly accurately. This book describes her exploration of the Dresden block and her own ideas for construction of different "more modern" Dresden blocks. Construction ideas to make this block easier are offered and there are lots of color pictures plus template patterns. (She also sells a plastic template that looked like it would be real handy, too.)

The actual book signing was held at the Terra d'Oro Winery in Plymouth, California. Wine tasting and hors d'oeuvres plus even a harp player added to the pleasure of the event. The highlight, though, was the display of quilts many made by Anelie and some made by her students. (No, I haven't taken her class yet but plan to!!!)

It was really HOT and the quilts were displayed outside in an arbor and the light wasn't always the best for the pictures and I'm not the best photographer. I do hope you get the idea because it was extraordinary!!!!!

Gysy Summer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38804[/ATTACH]

one of my favorites, Romancing the Reds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38985[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19269.jpe   attachment-38804.jpe   attachment-38985.jpe