View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
I am making a "medallion" center on the back of a quilt (the backing) out of leftover fabric squares from the front of a quilt. The medallion is 44 inches square but I want to put it on "point" to match the front of the quilt. How do I figure out what size square to make for the 4 corner triangles I need to make it square? (so that I can add borders in the normal way-it's gonna be a KING size- HOLY COW ! WHAT WAS I THINKING?? lol ! ) Hope this makes sense! Thanks in advance! Happy Quilting everybody!
Measure the 'medallion' block along one straight side.
Add 2-3" to this measurement.
The resulting measurement is the size of the sqaure you will use to make the corner triangles. You will need TWO squares cut this size. ** Note below for cutting an extra large square.**
Cut the squares ONCE across the diagonal, you will have 4 triangles.
The long side of the triangles will be on the bias, but will be stabilized by the medallion block sides. The short sides of the triangles will be on the straight grain and will be the outside edges of your setting triangles.
After sewing triangles to the block, trim the extra fabric allowiing a little bit of float at the points of your medallion.
The graphic below shows you a way to cut squares that are larger than your largest square up ruler. Using yardage of fabric, fold in a corner far enough to duplicate the size of the square you need. Trim along the straight edges of the fold and open for your square. Make 2.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails attachment-256294.jpe