View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 05:26 PM
weezie

Originally Posted by rwquilts
Originally Posted by violetsfarm
Originally Posted by rwquilts
I'm sort of "stuck" now with my blocks all completed and no good way to finish them...I will be patient and see what happens. I am really looking forward to finishing this one...some of these blocks were such a difficult challenge for me!
Your blocks were such beauties, what do you mean "no good way to finish them"?
I mean that my design wall is tiny and even if I moved everything out of my living room, I wouldn't have space enough to lay out these blocks...simply an issue of room, but that's okay...one of these days my DH will retire and we will be moving and I will have a larger room! In the meantime, I am drooling over everyone's beautiful quilts! :)
I did mine a few rows at a time. Are you doing yours on point? I did mine on point and, starting with top left, I put as many as would fit on my design wall (which is essentially 52" square because I can't reach all the way to the top even standing on my tiptoes). When I was happy with the layout of top left corner (9 blocks), I played around with the next few rows ... laid out on my cutting table, which is 40" x 72". I could only lay out about 3 rows on the cutting table, and as the rows got longer, the blocks overlapped, but that was o.k. I made sure that the blocks in the rows I had already sewn and the ones next to be sewn looked o.k. next to one another. After the long rows were done, I reverted back to the original method and put the bottom shorter rows on the design wall.

Frankly, I decided that laying all the blocks out at once (if I had had the space to do so) probably would be at least as maddening and frustrating as the method I used. It did occur to me more than once that I would be left with a handful of blocks that didn't fit anywhere ... and, in fact, I did have some ornery ones, but managed in the end to re-make only one block and all the rest fit in o.k.