Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
grammatjr

Funny, I was remembering a fancy name. I did find several knit or crochet free patterns, but no sewing patterns.

I did find some other groups talking about it, and they used sweatshirt jackets (which I had thought of, so moved those files to my "hospital" file).

I found lots of pretty pics, so copied those as inspiration.

Right now, I am just trying to get all the items I can think of together in one place.

I did make the hospital gown from http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/hospitalgown.php for a friend a few years ago. She is a large woman, who was not comfortable in the hospital gowns available. The pattern was easy to adapt to her size, I first made one out of an old sheet, so I could be sure it fit properly. I also added a bit of extra on the back flap, so there was plenty to prevent hallway flashing! My aunt had sent me some embroidery bits, and I put those on the chest pocket to make it a little prettier. We bought some really pretty floral fabrics in her favorite colors. My daughter helped me sew, and we made her 2 gowns, with an extra fleece layer in the front top so that it also provided a little coverage (I called it a modesty sheild, thin cotton can be pretty revealing). She loved them so much that for years she wore it to her doctor appointments after her hospital stay too. This is a really great pattern, because it allows all those tubes and wires to go through the pocket on the chest, so that the gown doesn't have to be hanging open, showing all you got! It has snaps on the shoulder seams, so it is easy for the doctor to open up either front or back, just one side, easily and still maintain some modesty for the lady.