Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 AM
justtrish

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

Thanks all
Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!

Oh Miriam...hellloooo

I like the muffin tin idea.

My biggest issue when reassembling is that darn washer behind the handwheel....

Is there a right way to put the handwheel back on? I can't seem to get the clutch to engage properly on my newly cleaned 191J....