View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 PM
MacThayer

No, I don't have a long arm quilter either. If I make a quilt that requires more than basic quilting, which I do on my Brother machine, then I send it out to a long arm quilter to be done. I'll often do that if I have a large quilt and it's for a gift. I consider it both a gift to myself, so I don't have to do it, and a gift for the person I'm giving the quilt to, because they'll have professional quilting on their quilt.

One of the things I'm just starting is the "Quilt as you Go" method by Penny Halgren. She has a whole series of DVD's that show you how to do it. In this method, you create each block for the quilt, and then put each block together in a "sandwich" with the batting and backing, and quilt it on the spot. When you're done, you'll have all the blocks for the quilt, and they will already be quilted. The genius part is showing you how to put them together into a whole quilt. Believe me, it doesn't seem like the batting is made up of "blocks", and it's just like a regular quilt. It's a whole lot easier because you're working on smaller pieces at a time, much easier to quilt than a big quilt under a small machine. Check it out. It might be just the ticket for you.