Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.

Miriam, could you explain this? I've read this and I don't understand why the 503 and 403 would have better stitch width control. How are the 500 and 401 different in the stitch width area? Thanks.

I just know that when I use the 403 I can get different widths for the decorative stitches. The 401 camstack is set for what ever you get - for example EQ2 will make a stitch - that's it only stitch length adjustment. The 403 with a disk will make the same stitch and then you have a width adjustment as well as length adjustment. I'm thinking if you use the disk the 401 will do the width in what ever you want to set it. On the other hand - I mostly use it set to the full width. Then the 403 is easier to maintain - that cam stack can get stuck if the oil dries.