View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by k3n
[
Hey French and Dutch - two of my favourite nationalities! :D

Hmmm, since I know you're a Brit, I'm gonna hafta put on my thinking cap to figure out why......... LOL

Actually they are mine too. I have a cousin-in-law who's Dutch, and she is the sweetest person in the world! Lilly and Joey remind me of their girls. Dutch mom, American dad, they lived in Italy for years (and are back there now), so the girls speak English, Dutch, German (they told me if you can speak Dutch, you can speak German) and Italian, fluently!
Yup Hans speaks fluent German, as well as French, English, Dutch (obviously!) some Spanish and a bit of Russian. Most of the Dutch I understood at first come from my school German (eg snell in Dutch, schnell in German, meaning quick) but the more I get to know in Dutch, the less like German it becomes. To Hans - the two languages are only as similar as French and English - although there are a lot of similar words there too, just different pronunciation - often if I don't know a French word, I try the English with a French accent and 9 times out of 10 - ça passe! :D

Sorry for the hijack, Pam! :oops: