Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 AM
StitchinJoy

[quote=oksewglad]While waiting to download--Having lived the life of a farmer/farm wife, I don't want to live in the 19th century. I grew up using an outdoor privy and bathed in an old metal tub as a child. No thank you! I thank the good Lord for running water and an automatic washing machine! My life now is dominated by dirt, I can't imagine trying to keep ahead of it without modern conveniences. Oh and central heating...I won't go any further....quote]

I was a living historian for many years. I portrayed women from 1765-1865 at different events, many in the field at Civil War reenactments.

I have to say that the challenges were many and I learned so much "walking in their shoes." Having to start a fire and draw water and crush coffee beans before getting my coffee each morning-- sheer torture. Gathering firewood and carrying water while wearing a corset--necessary. My back could never have survived all the work without the spine straightening corset. Taming long wide skirts in a wind while tending a fire--terrifying.

Their lives were difficult. Coming home, my first act was always to jump in the shower and bless the soul of the guy who figured out how to make hot water come out of the wall!

But there is also a natural rhythm to the day and a quiet beauty that I sense is fleeting in modern society. There's not so much noise and "filler" in the day.

In the 19th century, the day is filled with small tasks and you get to see your work-- shirts made, dresses ironed, bread baked-- check check check. I think it's why I love making quilts. The process is such fun, but having something to show for my effort is great too.

I agree it is a nice place to visit. I also like my modern conveniences--treadles are ok but I really like a sewing machine with a light!