View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Farm Quilter

Originally Posted by Karen Collins
Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Originally Posted by jgriinke
Those are wonderful! Bless you all for doing that.
These quilts really helped me deal with my daughter being in Afghanistan the last 6 months. I'm so glad she asked for them and that all the wonderful quilters here made the happen. Good Lord willing, she'll be home in less than 3 weeks!
Did you send quilts to soldiers currently serving? I would love to send quilts but am unsure how they can use them while they are over in Afganistan.
I will be presenting them with the quilts upon their return to their base here in Florida. With all the equipment they have to take to Afghanistan, they really have no room for much extra. My daughter has shipped home 3 large crates of her stuff so she didn't have to drag it around with her on the way home - one of the crates I could not even lift! If there is a base close to you, call them and ask to talk to someone about giving quilts to the returning servicemen and women.

I also quilt for American Heros, a group who gives quilts to every wounded warrior coming through the hospital at Ft. Lewis in Washington. While they deserve a quilt, I also feel that each and every service member who serves in a war zone deserves to have a small token of thanks for everything they have sacrificed to serve our country. I'm lucky enough to have daughters in the military who give me access to these groups so I can make quilts for them!!!