View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM
imak

Originally Posted by shnnn
Absolutely love spray basting - haven't had any tucks with it, and no problems sewing through it. If you set up another table or ironing board at a 90* angle to your machine on your left to hold the weight of the quilt it help immensely as well. And for me -- no straight lines! I cannot SITD at all, total fail!
Also--to save money I have found that using a LIGHT spray of hair spray , like Aqua Net. followed by a Light spray of any spray basting product holds everything together for a few months and does a really good job!! Havent had any puckers doing this all this year and I use NO pins at all! I smooth out the ironed backing. on the bed, followed by the batting ( 80/20 OR all poly)
smooth out well, then ironed top. once all is even on edges I pull back top & batt half way (husband is a great help with this, ) spray the BATT w/ both and smooth out batt. then spray top of batt and smooth the top on it. Repeat for other end of quilt. I use the bottom half of the bed as arms are kind of short and I can reach all of quilt this way. LOL If hubby is not available, after smoothing out top I wait about 5-10 minutes before folding sprayed portion on itself twice which makes it easier for me to turn it around to do the other end. I have had 2 --double sized quilts that had to wait to be done and they did just fine. I did have to fold them loosly to store them till quilted and it didn't seem to mess up anything, but I made sure that nothing got put on top of either of them till ready to quilt.
Long winded huh? but I hope this helps some of you to try it as I really like it and it saves me a LOT of money!!
Imak