Thread: mailing a quilt
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM
MacThayer

Originally Posted by ptquilts
not applicable to quilts, but when you are shipping something breakable, like a machine, pack it so the box can withstand a four foot drop onto a hard surface. Really. They do not get handled gently by any shipping service. And forget about marking it Fragile or Handle with Care.
This is exactly where taking it to a UPS store and having them pack it is the most important. They know how to pack it so it can withstand a 4 foot drop without damage, and they stake their reputation on it. I just shipped several items from my Great Grandmother's estate, including a fragile teapot she received as a wedding present, and an old, very delicate clock, also a wedding present (circa 1880). Both arrived in pristine condition. I know it costs a little more to have them pack it, but they have the right boxes, the right packing material, and they do this for a living. I don't. So far nothing they've packed has ever met with harm, and I send a lot, due to my husband's business. And I agree, if you can't print your own label, next best thing is to have a printed label at UPS/USPS, and stand ready to cover it with wide, clear packing tape. Scotch tape doesn't cut it.