Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
Your Jacob's ladder is just beautiful. Can you tell us what order you did the blocks/sashing in?
Here is a quick run down:

I can't help with fabric quantities as I just cut two piles of 2" squares and 4" squares from scraps in a mix of darks and lights (keep darks and lights separate!) - anything goes as long as you have a strong contrast when stitching at all stages of making each block.

Each block takes:

3 - 4 patches and 6 HST's

So to work out quantities - multiply:-

6 - 2" lights AND 6 - 2" darks squares (four patches)
3 -4" lights AND 3 - 4" darks squares (Half Squared Triangles)

per block, multiplied by however many blocks you need to make to get the size quilt you require.

I made a pile of 4 patches and a pile of HST's, chain piecing as much as possible. When I was bored with doing that, I then selected from each pile, laying out by my sewing machine in the block formation making sure I had a good mix of fabrics.

Lay them in a 9 patch formation.

Lay out 3 - 4 Patches running diagonally from bottom left to top right with light squares running through the centre.

Next, lay 2 HST's with dark sides touching either side of the 4 patches.

Then finally, the two corner HST's with dark corners outwards. You can see in the picture below if you look closely.

Stitch together to make each block.

Here's a link to a tutorial I made which is great for lining up each intersection, it really works!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28328-1.htm

Just carry on making a pile of 4 patches and a pile of HST's then make them into blocks, then make a few more 4 patches and HST's, (I found it less monotonous that way) until you have enough made!

I made 56 9.5" blocks.

My quilt was based around 4 blocks turned so the 4 Patches created an 'X' (see picture below of a few blocks layout on the floor before sewing together).

The first border was 3" wide

Then I added the diamond border, created by sewing 4 HST's into a diamond formation block, then stitched these blocks together to create the border.

The 3rd Border was 3" wide.

I hope everyone understands this! :lol: :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-257950.jpe