Old 09-17-2011, 05:11 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Charlee
The last one I saw was in an antique shop in The Dalles, they wanted $145.00 for it and the decals were gone. I was pleased to see this one, and am hoping it looks good...it's considerably less money! :)
Charlee, my Davis has virtually no decals after I got too keen on cleaning her up. Her decals before I decided to clean her up were pretty gone, but now completely gone. I still love the machine, and actually I think I perfer her nice and shinning and clean instead of gunky feeling with some decals showing through here and there. I hope you get the machine. They are a little harder - I think - to get use to. At least I had a hard time figuring out how to get a decent stitch out of 'Betty.' She is the only machine I have that took me two months to get her to sew. You really have to play with the stitch regulator on that machine. Glenn had the same problems when he was trying to get his Vertical Feed to stitch. I use her all the time now for my bindings, but boy does that machine give me a workout! Mine in the 1886 version, not the New Vertical Feed like Monica has. They may be easier - don't know?

Nancy
I'm not sure on this one, the guy told me that he thinks it's early 1900's, it's in a coffintop treadle with the Davis decal on the top. The cabinet looks complete, albeit in rough shape. The bonus part would be that they know the history of the machine...it's coming from his mother in law's home, she's 87, and it belonged to her ....great grandmother or her grandmother...not sure which!