View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 02:27 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
"A couple years ago, reclaimed shopping bags---------that even the guys can use for tools and stuff."

You know this sounds like something I should do. DH has been attending local baseball team's games on Senior Nights - gets a free hotdog and drink. Well there are tables set up from local businesses, hospitals, etc. giving out freebees and of course DH picked them all up, especially the shopping bags. I think I'll cover them with some fun fabrics and give them as an added little gift that can be used for food shopping or as suggested, storing tools.
Don't waste your time on store bought shopping bags. They split and dissolve and generally don't hold up. I make mine from rummage sale pants and skirts. Just a few cuts and a few seams and a couple handles and you've got a fine strong bag that can be washed a million times and won't wear out. Use the tan and blacks and greens for the guys and then buy funky pants and skirts for the ladies. You can use a light weight skirt if you put a liner in it, but you can generally find plenty of heavier skirts that work well. I've even bought a couple beautiful linen skirts that make great bags.