Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
mpeters1200

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962]
Originally Posted by grayhare
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by grayhare

Very nice! I remember shopping at Mongomery Wards when I was young.
OMG! I remember going with my dad; he would go pick up a part or something there. While he was purchasing the item, I would be over in the vacuum area watching the beach ball stay up in the air. lol
We didn't have Montgomery Wards or the catalog where I lived. We had a little J. C. Penny store & their catalog and just a Sears catalog. Oh the wonders to behold!!! My Grandma would play a game with me. She would pretend to give me $100 and tell me I had to make out the order form and order anything I wanted and get it close to $100 and spend it all on myself. WOW! I spent hours dreaming and drooling!!! I could do it all again.... probably in different parts of the catalog though... We had a small town J C Penny and it had some clothes and some appliances etc. BUT I can remember going to Sears in the city - now that was a true treat - it was in one of those old huge stand alone red brick buildings - every nook and cranny full of delightful stuff. AND they had fabric you could touch and buy!!! That's where my clothes mostly came from - shoes too. Oh the smells!

For a while there was a MW distribution center with an outlet in Cincinnati. What fun! All the rejects, returns and broken stuff... It's probably been gone for 25 or 30 years by now - when ever MW went under.
We had just a tiny Wards store in the tiny farm town I grew up in. Nearest Sears, Penny's or bigger Wards store minimum 45 minutes away by the mall. I remember mom getting the catalogs in the mail. She would go through them page by page and dog ear the pages of clothes she liked. Then, one weekend we would go to the park or do something
with Gramma and Grampa. When we got home, there would be piles of clothes on the beds. Mom and Dads, then us kids too, as well as newer throw pillows and drapes if she was really up to it. I never found out that she sewed until I was a teenager, let alone find out we never bought any clothes at the mall. She'd just look in the catalog and make it. She had amazing talent....all on her little Featherweight.