View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 PM
marymm

Thanks for all the nice comments. I will let the subject go after answering a few more questions. First, I want to make sure everyone knows this isn't an original idea. I saw a picture of a similar tree quilt, but no pattern was available. I used graph paper to make my own version. It is smaller (mostly in the height, has a different trunk and different garlands. I would also suggest that instead of garlands, you could put in an occasional block of another bright color in the green layout to look like scattered stars or ornaments. Rethinking my pattern, I do not believe the white rows on both sides are necessary, as long as you of course use the borders called for in all twister tool patterns. As for how my husband cut the template, he used rather thin acrylic, measured carefully and cut with a utility knife. He used the same knife, but didn't cut as deep to make the center lines. He then put in black permanent ink to fill in the groove. After it dried, he washed the surface with rubbing alcohol. For anyone wanting basic info on the twister tool, please used the search function offered by the board to find many nice tutorials and layouts. The web also has a number of nice tutorials available if you just use the Google or Yahool, or whatever search method. There are even some utube versions I think. PS I'm still looking for border fabric.