Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 AM
LoriJ

Originally Posted by Skeat
Originally Posted by LoriJ
I'm a pin baster that likes the idea of spray basting, but I don't have a clue how to do it. Is there a video out there somewhere that would show me what to do?
I wasn't real sure either Lori at first!:)For the only thing I had previously had basted w/the spray was a wall size. I 'taped' my bottom layer on the floor as usual for I thought it might keep it from sliding since it was on my kitchen floor...layered my batting and top...each layer smoothing out any crinkles as I went. Then I folded the batting and the top layer over in half. I sat on the quilt side on my knees. Sprayed 8-10" in a left to right motion. Then reached under the batting that is folded towards me and smoothed it towards the end like you would hang wallpaper. Then the right side and then left. Since I didn't spray but a 1/4 of the way to the end, I repeated the above. Then I turned around and rolled the quilt again towards me (batting and top) till I met up where the adhesive spray was sticking in the middle. Repeated like the above. I then, just because I wasn't a believer and wasn't sure...I put a few pins in the middle and did all the way around the edge...just for insurance:)It was great!! I started machine quilting that night, finished the next day...it never moved! I'm sold!! The can says it will stay on there for about 2 weeks...so, not something to spray and wait 6months...but, might try it to see on my own science quilt experiment>:) I always, normally worry that something like would depreciate or yellow...but this seems to wash right out and I did overspray a smidgen on the floor...and, left it on purpose. For I wanted to see what it would do on my floor...it is gone and was in 2 days! Overspray here is not a problem:)And, the smell wasn't either. It says to use not in an closed area....:)Hope that helps for some insight and I am sure others will have some more great input on this too. I thought of draping the quilt over a big table, but was worried it would wrinkle??Skeat
Thanks Skeat. I've got two lap quilts ready to go, I"ll have to go get some and give it a try. Sullivans, right? Hmmm gotta figure out who sells it around here. Sure would beat being on my knees on the floor to pin everything. And my fingers will be thankful too.