View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 04:18 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by katier825
Do you mean how to match stripes? If so, what I do is to fold down and press 1/4 seam allowance on one piece, then when I get it lined up, I glue baste it and press it. Once it's pressed well, you can sew on the pressed line. It works well for matching prints also. I don't like piecing my borders, but when I do, I try to match them.
Nope, no gluing required. Pretend you are making a OBW (one block wonder). Cut your first strip of your stripe fabric the width you want. Then lay that over your other fabric till the stripes are lined up identically, cut the next strip, and continue this way till you have the length you need plus a little extra. Next you will unfold your strips to a single layer. Overlap an end of each of the first 2 strips enough that you can make a 45 degree cut, remove the scraps. You should be able to go straight to the sewing machine and sew these together. They should come out perfect if you lined everything up perfectly when cutting. Do one strip at a time till you have the length you need. Maybe this topic needs a visual tutorial. I can't do one today, but maybe tomorrow.