Thread: Recycled Shirts
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MacThayer
Originally Posted by Thusnelda
I like the look of them. But isn't the fabric rather thin? My granmother made the most wonderful pineapple pattern quilt for me using old shirts and dresses. Unfortunately, some pieces pretty soon showed some wear and got torn.
Yes, I ran into that problem with one of my great grandmother's quilts. I solved it by either replacing the patch (a lot of work) or simply appliquéing a new patch over the torn one. That's faster, and you'd be surprised at how nice it looks.
Around here they really look over the shirts before they put them out. I read that I should look out for thin, worn shirts, and check the underarm area for staining and wear, but haven't found any issues like that. I have only purchased 1 shirt with a spot, and it was very small. there were a couple that were more of a looser homespun weave and i just made sure that they were sewn next to a tightly woven one & used a bit smaller stitch.

The bonus is that while looking for cotton (and going every week ;-) ) I was also able to purchase about 8 washable SILK shirts, for a buck each!!!! Most are Aloha prints in a jacquard weave in pastel colors. Can't wait to start on those!