View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Greenheron

Originally Posted by ckcowl
when i purchase wool jackets to use from thrift stores/yard sales i take them apart- remove buttons- what ever take the linings out- then wash them in hot water- and detergent-rinse in cold water then dry in a hot dryer- then it is ready to use for what ever i'm going to use it for- wool appliques- patchwork- hooked rugs, purses- what ever i am using it for-
you can also over-dye your wools in you want.
This is also what I do. The temperature changes shrink the wool but not to the point of felting. I use the resulting fabric for applique and pennyrug type projects. You do NOT need to felt it for applique. Loosely woven herringbones and tweeds are the most likely to fray, but not necessarily. I have very, very little problem with fraying using the method described by ckcowl.

Wool treated this way before use results in a finished product that can be carefully washed (I use lukewarm) when needed.
When you get your bundle in the mail compare the fabrics that were hot water washed and dryer dried with the piece of red wool that hadn't been.