View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson
Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
Wow!! Those are the most beautiful pillows I have seen! I can only imagine sewing with that silk. Did you use the serger? Excellent work.
How come you call them "pillows" when down under we call them "cushions", pillows are what you put your head on when you go to bed, what do you call the "cushions/pillows" on a couch or a chair or do you call them the same?
I call cushions the part of a couch or chair something you sit on, they can be removable or stationary seats or pillow like that has been covered in some type of fabric and the cushion covers the area you sit on. Pillowsare two types and are normally smaller and are used for decorative purposes on a couch and many call them "throw or toss" pillows. Pillows are also used to sleep on while in bed but are larger (and usually rectangular in shape) than "throw" pillows and many people use "throws" on top of these as decorative pillows on the bed when the bed is made up during the day. These "throw" pillows can be any shape, oblong, round, triangle, square, rolled like a log shape, etc. I hope this helps clarify it for you, Please don't hestitate to ask when our terms here are different from yours. Even in different areas and states of the US, people use different terms for things. We have such a strange use for our language.