Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 PM
DogHouseMom

I finally started disassembling my Vintage 66 today. Got the face place, presser bar & lever, tension assembly, fly wheel, and bobbin winder all off and are all sitting in marked baggies with WD40. Had a heck of a time with some of the pieces, especially the bobbin winder. Sometimes I would remove two pieces only to discover there was a spring between them and the spring fell out before I could see how it was supposed to go in. I see where they go and how, but two of the springs fit into holes and there was a choice of holes to fit it into.

Also, on the bobbin winder is a rim of what I think was leather (the part that would "feel" the bobbin). The leather (or whatever it was) is shot and I'll need to replace it. Is this an easy part to find and replace?

Got oodles of pic's during the process ... so I'm confident that I'll be able to put it all back together again.

Did not get the bobbin plate off, didn't have the right size screw driver (need a short stubby one or a very long one) to get the two screws out. And UGH! The bobbin still had thread in it, like 7 DIFFERENT threads one on top of the other!! Honestly ... did people really do that??

Other than that, things went very well and hubby was surprised that I did it myself (Ok - he had to remove ONE stubborn screw for me!). And I tested WD40 on the decal area in the back and looks OK so I don't have to worry about that.

He's been working on the cabinet and treadle irons. So far all the irons are removed and most of them have been sand blasted. One of them (the foot plate) has been repainted.

Getting exciting!!!