Thread: Recycled Shirts
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Thusnelda

Originally Posted by MacThayer
Originally Posted by Thusnelda
I like the look of them. But isn't the fabric rather thin? My granmother made the most wonderful pineapple pattern quilt for me using old shirts and dresses. Unfortunately, some pieces pretty soon showed some wear and got torn.
Yes, I ran into that problem with one of my great grandmother's quilts. I solved it by either replacing the patch (a lot of work) or simply appliquéing a new patch over the torn one. That's faster, and you'd be surprised at how nice it looks.
Thank you MacThayer and also to Rose L. That's what my grandmother used to do with the quilt she gave to me. When I got my cats I stopped using it, storing it in a cupboard. But earlier this year - when my grandmother (now 95) got more and more feeble - I felt like using it again, feeling it's a pity stowing it away. It's really pointless prolonging a quilt's life by storing it carefully and never setting eyes on it. I have it now draped over my sofa, enjoying it daily, thinking of my dear grandmother. Maybe one day, I will take it apart and make two smaller quilts out of the better parts. But for now I just keep loving and using it.