Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 AM
quilterella

This is the first comissioned quilt I just finished for DH's sister's DGD. She wanted the colours of green and beige and her DH said nothing to girly, and that was all I got for instruction. I had wanted to try the idea of animals covered up by the quilt and had seen pictures of this, but, had no pattern, so thought I would try. The sister's DH said DGD had 2 bunnies - one brown & one white, and two dogs - one brown and one black. I used patterns from Fatcats.com for the bunnies and dogs and went from there. Not only did I have no instruction as to what they wanted, no pattern per say, now I had to come up with a price for them. I told her how much the fabric was (($168.18) even though it all came from my stash(gave a rough estimate)) and left it up to her. My anxiety level shot through the roof twofold. "Would she like it? Is it good enough? Will she even pay me? Well as usual, I fretted for nothing. Both sister and brother-in-law loved the quilt and paid $350.00 (doubled the price of fabric). The quilt was a double, and all the fabric was from my stash. I think I did okay on this deal. They were so happy, now I have two more orders from her. The brother-in-law did not want a fancy label and just wanted the DGD name and the date on it. So, now I am working on a bargello for them and then she wants a Star Sampler like the Tuxedo Nights I made her daughter for a wedding gift, only she wants it in blues. I guess I am going to be busy for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-258976.jpe   attachment-258977.jpe   attachment-258978.jpe