View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 AM
TanyaL

Charming, I bought a new serger last month and I just can't quit sewing with it. Here is easy peasy instructions for placemats and napkins but there is no video. PM me if you have questions. These are REALLY easy! Cut 2 fabrics 11 1/2" by 17 1/2". One will be the top and one will be the bottom. It is nice to make the placemat reversible with coordinating fabric. Using a fusible web made for appliques such as Wonder Under, put one fabric on the web and press the fabric down until it is adhered everywhere. Trim the fusible web to the size of the fabric. Pull the paper off the back of the web. Lay this fabric down with the web side facing up and put the second fabric on it. Make sure the right side of the fabric is facing out or up. Smooth fabric carefully and press. Serge edges with a 3 thread narrow hem. This hem is very important as it makes the placaemat look very professional. I use a colored coordinated thread that picks up a color from the main fabric (the fabric I have designated as the front). Put a drop of Liquid Stitch on each corner to prevent raveling and let it dry at least 30 minutes before you trim off the tail of your stitching.

Napkins are cut 16 1/2" square out of 2 pieces of fabric. Press the fabrics together, right sides out. Pin in several places in the middle of the napkin. Serge edges with the 3 thread narrow hem. Use the Liquid Stitch on the corners and let dry before trimming off the tail of your stitchings.

These instuctions make very professional looking and easy to do placemats and napkins. I did not put anything between the 2 layers of fabric in the placemats because I have never had a problem with dinner plates being so hot that they damaged the surface of my wooden dining table and I prefer that my placemats lie absolutely flat against the table surface. JFYI.