Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM
jljack

[quote=GrannieAnnie][quote=jljack][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962]
Originally Posted by grayhare
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by melinda1962

Very nice! I remember shopping at Mongomery Wards when I was young.
OMG! I remember going with my dad; he would go pick up a part or something there. While he was purchasing the item, I would be over in the vacuum area watching the beach ball stay up in the air. lol
We didn't have Montgomery Wards or the catalog where I lived. We had a little J. C. Penny store & their catalog and just a Sears catalog. Oh the wonders to behold!!! My Grandma would play a game with me. She would pretend to give me $100 and tell me I had to make out the order form and order anything I wanted and get it close to $100 and spend it all on myself. WOW! I spent hours dreaming and drooling!!! I could do it all again.... probably in different parts of the catalog though... We had a small town J C Penny and it had some clothes and some appliances etc. BUT I can remember going to Sears in the city - now that was a true treat - it was in one of those old huge stand alone red brick buildings - every nook and cranny full of delightful stuff. AND they had fabric you could touch and buy!!! That's where my clothes mostly came from - shoes too. Oh the smells!

For a while there was a MW distribution center with an outlet in Cincinnati. What fun! All the rejects, returns and broken stuff... It's probably been gone for 25 or 30 years by now - when ever MW went under.
Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:
Our Sears still had some candy and stuff----------in the tool department
Yes, I remember that the candy counter was near the tools section, near an outside door. That's about all I remember about it, except that I clearly recall the popcorn smell!! I always ran towards the source of that smell in anticipation of a bag of popcorn!! I loved it as a kid!! :-)